- Acts 4:11-14 Walk in His Character & That Makes The Difference
- Romans 12:1-2
- 2 Corinthians 3:18
- Ephesians 6:11-15
John Newton Humbled
- John Newton 1725-1807
- Elizebeth Newton, 7 Years Old Mother Passed Away, She Taught Him The Bible. She taught him Isaac Watts Divine Hymns.
- 11 Years Old went out to sea with his father, John Newton
- Left The Navy, Requested to be transferred to a slave ship Bound To Africa. Ship Pegasus
- Reached Sierra Leone & became a servant to an abusive slave trader & his wife. Amos Clowe & his wife Abused and beat Newton as they did to the African Slaves.
- Newton’s Father searched for him. 1748 he was rescued by a sea captain and returned back to England on the ship Greyhound. John Newton was known as “The Great Blasphemer. Was a rebel. Drunkard. Vicious businessman.
- During a storm, when it was thought the ship might sink, he prayed for deliverance. This experience began his conversion to evangelical Christianity. Later, whilst aboard a slave vessel bound for the West Indies, he became ill with a violent fever and asked for God’s mercy; an experience he claimed was the turning point in his life.
All night long Newton tried to keep the ship from going under. And he thought about the state of his life. He knew he had run from God, hurt other people, and made a wreck out of his own situation. He had even mocked the Gospel.
Newton realized he might die in the storm. Would God still be forgiving, even after Newton had rejected Him?
At last, Newton recalled what his mother had taught him from the Bible: God loves to show mercy even to people who feel they are beyond redemption. Newton asked for God’s help for the first time in years. He survived the storm.
- In 1754, after a serious illness, he gave up seafaring altogether. In 1757, he applied for the Anglican priesthood. It was seven years before he was accepted. On 17th June 1764, he finally became a priest at Olney in Buckinghamshire. He became well known for his pastoral care and respected by both Anglicans and nonconformists.
- He collaborated with William Cowper to produce a volume of hymns, including ‘Amazing Grace’. So popular was his preaching, that the church could not accommodate all those who flocked to hear him. Newton began to deeply regret his involvement in the Slave Trade. After he became Rector of St Mary Woolnoth, in London in 1779, his advice was sought by many influential figures in Georgian society, among them the young M.P., William Wilberforce. Wilberforce was contemplating leaving politics for the ministry. Newton encouraged him to stay in Parliament and “serve God where he was”. Wilberforce took his advice, and spent the rest of his life working towards the abolition of slavery.
In 1787, Newton wrote a tract supporting the campaign, ‘Thoughts upon the African Slave Trade’, which was very influential. It graphically described the horrors of the Slave Trade and his role in it. He later joined William Wilberforce in the campaign for abolition of the Slave Trade. In February 1807, when the act to abolish the Slave Trade finally became law, John Newton, nearly blind and near death, “rejoiced to hear the wonderful news.”
- The most famous of all the Olney Hymns, “Faith’s Review and Expectation,” grew out of David’s exclamation in 1 Chronicles 17:16-17.
Amazing Grace 1772
Apostle Paul Humbled
- Paul’s Credentials. 2 Corinthians 6
- Paul Persecution:
1 Corinthians 15:9
Acts 22:20 Held Stephen’s Cloak
Paul’s Conversion: Acts 9:3 Light= phós= , the manifestation of God's self-existent life; divine illumination to reveal and impart life, through Christ. Flashed= periastrapto= I flash (gleam) around like lightning Goad= Sharp Point= 2. as in the Greek writings an iron goad, for urging on oxen, horses and other beasts of burden; hence, the proverb πρός κέντρα λακτίζειν, to kick against the goad, i. e. to offer vain and perilous or ruinous resistance
Uzziah: Pride: Uzziah= 2 Chronicles 26:16-21
9th king of Judah Uzziah= Power Is Yahweh 16 Years Old Reigned 42 Years In Jerusalem Father:Amaziah= strengthened by Yahweh Mother: Jechiliah=Prefection/Power Of The Lord Days Of Zechariah= Yehwah Remembers Achievements: Defeated his enemies Philistines ( Syria, Lebanon) Gath: Walls Jabneh: Walls Ashdod:Walls= Dagon Worship Canaanites Arabians: God Helped Lived in Gur-bal Meunites: Arab Tribe Ammonites: gave tribute: Jordan: Molek Worship: Egypt His Fame Extended, Became Very Strong= The World Built Towers In Jerusalem and Fortified Them= Watch Towers Built Towers In The Wilderness= Watch Towers
Army: Valiant Warriors 2600 Elite Army 307,500 Wage war with great power to help the King against his Enemies Scribe: Jeiel= God Sweeps Away Official: Maaseish= Work Of Yahweh Kings Officer: Hananiah= Yahweh Is Gracious
Mass Weapons: Army Shields Spears Helmet Body Armour Bows & Sling Stones
In Jerusalem: Engines Of War invented skillful men to shoot arrows & great stones.
Uzziah Fame Spread afar, marvellously helped until he was Strong!
- Heart Was Proud=
- Acted Corruptly
- He Was Unfaithful To The Lord His God= Maal= acted treacherously, acting unfaithfully, became…unfaithful, been unfaithful, broke faith, committing unfaithfulness, err, violated
- He Entered The Temple Of The Lord To Burn Incense On The Alter Of Incense ( Pray To Who?)
- Azariah = Yahweh Has Helped= The Priest & 80 priests of The Lord, Valiant Men. Valiant= Vigorous in body; strong; powerful; as, a valiant fencer,courageous; brave, Performed with valor or bravery
- Opposed= Stand, Spoke The Word Of God, Affirmed Gods Word, Sons Of Aaron The Priests are Consecrated by The Lord. Aaron= Exalted, Lifted High
- Unfaithful, no Honour From The Lord God
- Censor in Uzziah Hand, he was enraged
2 live clean Birds= Innocent Blood Cedar Wood= Cross Scarlet String= Atonement, Sacrifice, Salvation Water= Spirit Hyssop= Cleaning= Psalm 51:7
Jotham=The Lord Is Perfect
Skin Colour Of The Heart!!! Unclean Defiled Untouchable Outcast
ONLY PRAY & CRY TO THE LORD
Table Of Incense Exodus 30
Golden Censor "And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail: And he shall put the incense upon the fire before the LORD, that the cloud of the incense may cover the mercy seat that is upon the testimony, that he die not" - Leviticus 16:12-13
Golden Censor: Aims To God & His Work Gold= King Spices Frankincense=Pray=God Hears Myrrh= Death=Life Morning & Evening
Before The Holy Of Holies Table of Incense Wood Covered In Pure Gold. Gods Love Pray Answered Defeat Sin & Devil
Pray To The Lord not Man: Psalm 141:2 Rev 5:8 Prayers Of Gods People Priest Duty.
Hebrews 12 Only Christ Jesus Makes The Difference!!!
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
- When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
- Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.
- See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
- Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.